The Best Little Blog in Cyberspace

Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Persisting Residue of Grace

I was walking down the street today and thinking of my hero Rene Descartes, famous for "I think therefore I am." Suddenly the 'I am' seemed a constant electric hum rising to a ringing in the ears. It seemed to grow uncontrollably louder and louder. How do I turn down the volume of my bifurcation? I asked Rene the way Mrs. Regan used to query Christ. "Try a variation on the theme," he suggested, "try: I think therefore I love." The following poem is the result of that moment. I added Peggy Lee's incredible version of "Cloudy Morning" from her 1963 masterpiece, "Mink Jazz."

THE PERSISTING RESIDUE OF GRACE

1
I have done plenty of perfectly awful things in dreams
but I never threw
a plate at you
or laid a hand on anyone
or trashed an apartment

Nor was there any reciprocity
of vandalism
on "your" part

since, in dreams, you are me
and I am you

and

we are all together

for the umpteenth
last time
2
What was I thinking?
Shouting your name at you
walking far ahead of me
on a hazy California beach
where you seemed intent on dis
appearance

Even in dreams
people go missing
or are abducted unwillingly
from a promiscuous vastness

mobbed by shimmering shapes
too vague to be promised to anything
but freedom or escape

from the dreamer

3
I promised not to see you in my dreams
except by chance and not as chalice
I could drink from
for deep forever

I promised you safe passage
across a beach so public
you could trespass
without capture or even fear of it

"You can be Greta Garbo, if you like,
recognizable only from a distance
and mis-
taken for someone else
if I get too close."

Such are the rules of dis
engagement
letting hearts embark
in the chastity of friendship

Such are the rules of re
membrance
in a world that is haven
for souls lifted and loose

but never lost


4
The earth was then a second skin
of surf seizing our feet
or sand breading
our bodies

We sank to swim
in deeper meanings
of oceanic contentment
that had nothing to do with wombs

or any embrace less permanent
than heaven's


5
Your breath on cold evenings
was smoke from fires
gently contained and stoked
within us

The moon taught us to rub
two gazes together
to make one light
of love


6
We must practice walking on an earth
whose shine is never faint
and beyond the reduction of its glare
to embers

We must practice remaining on an earth
so hot and inviting to the touch
we become carriers of lower light
as bright and warming as winter coals

We must practice revealing an earth
that is first and foremost a birthplace
where we are still so welcome
when the final trumpet sounds

there is no where else to go

7
Everything
even the most jagged shards
and coarsened shreds
of bad dreams
are harbingers of the life
I never had

before you.

--David Federman, Narberth, June 24, 2010

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home